It was a hard day. Yad Vashem is the Holocaust memorial here and it was a heavy experience to see it. I had a lot of very mixed emotions, obviously. I hate having my emotions manipulated, so I was guarded against that, but also touched by the absolute tragedy. It's hard to understand how educated, seemingly civilized people can sink to such barbarism. And it's hard to see how those same people who survived such incredible evils are now treating others with so little sympathy.
The theme of Holocaust memorials is always "Remember" and I spent a lot of time thinking about what it is that I ought to remember that will make me a better person and make the world a better place. I think remembrance is a form of gratitude, but it seems that there is little to be grateful for regarding the Holocaust besides the people who show us that the human spirit can triumph even in the worst of circumstances, and the fearless soldiers who liberated the camps and of course the Savior who carried the pain and loneliness and fear of them all. I'll remember what happened, because if we forget it could happen again. I'll remember because nearly 12 million people never got to finish living their dream, and as long as I have my life and my freedom I'll live mine.
This is a sapling from a tree planting by a woman and her children in a ghetto on the equivalent of Arbor Day, against Nazi laws. Acts like this redefined the word "hero"for Jews. A hero is not always one who fights boldly on the front lines sometimes it is the one who quietly maintains the dignity of being human and finds something of happiness in living, even in a hellish life.
This was too perfect a setting to not take an awkward family photo. It was sad to see Yad Vashem, but life keeps going and life is wonderful so we kept having fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment