Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bells, Lions and Gummies

I know it's been way too long since I posted anything. Stick with me though because there are exciting things to come- trips to Jordan and Galilee and lots of fun in Jerusalem! I'm posting day by day now, meaning each post is for one day so you can really get a feel for things here.


This is the Church of Flagelation behind me where Christ was scourged. On the other side of the courtyard is another chapel where Pilate supposedly condemned Christ. It is the 1st station of the cross on the Via Dolorosa (there are 14 stations along the path from here to Calvary and they are all marked with churches and the such)

This is a broom in the same courtyard. I really like this place. I've come a few times. And I especially like this broom.

This is the bell tower at the YMCA building (designed by the same architect as the Empire State Building) We get to go there on Sundays and play the Carillon bells with Brother Whipple from 11:30-noon for the whole city to hear. We're secretly spreading the gospel through hymns!

That's what the bell playing contraption looks like. And that's what Brother Whipple looks likes. He is so cool! He's one of the volunteer service people here (not technically a missionary, but pretty much the same). His wife reminds me of Aunt Diane, she's darling. They opened the mission in Poland, he speaks a few language, he has a photographic memory, he has the 2nd largest Polish folk art collection in the world, he translated the Book of Mormon into Polish, they sang in the Austrian national chorus while living in Vienna and making violins in Poland... pretty much he's just amazing! We love Brother Whipple, and Sister Whipple too.

I loved playing the bells! It made me miss the bell choir from high school, even though it was totally different.

We went to the King David Hotel and saw the signatures of famous people on the floor, like Jackie Kennedy

And Nelson Mandela.

What are skirballs, and why is there a whole museum full of them?

We accidentally stumbled upon the neighborhood. I like it because it reminded me of where I lived in Paris. I got so excited I found myself in back-bend position!

The Lion is the symbol of the tribe of Judah and also of Jerusalem, so they're all over "West J" which is the Jewish side of the city. We like them. (The lions and the Jews)

This is a great shot of the city wall if I do say so myself. This is the North wall of the city across from Jaffa gate from a random park that we found before ending the day in the Old City.

This is my favorite site in the old city, also my favorite sight. I love the gummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment