I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! It was so refreshing to see this sign. We got to meet with the Branch President here in Amman and it was probably the highlight of my Jordan trip. I loved sitting in a hot sweaty chapel in an obscure part of the world hearing a simple man bear a simple testimony of the Savior. I realized that there is a reason that I am here and the Lord has a plan for how He is going to use these experiences to build His kingdom. I thought I came here to build myself, but I've learned that it has nothing to do with me. This is not about me at all; it's about Him and His kingdom. But as I focus on that, my life automatically becomes richer and fuller- it's like magic!
Welcome to Jarash! This is the best preserved Roman city in the world, so it's a pretty big deal. There are lots of pictures so that you can fully experience it with me... as much as is possible when you're just looking and pictures, and not feeling the awful heat.
Those arches are nice. I think this is the gate into the city.
I liked these pillars a lot. I still do. I wish I had taken a picture of everyone around them during our tour. When I walked up everyone was spaced out awkwardly and I couldn't figure it out, until I realized that they were standing in the shade of the pillars. Blessed shade!
Behold a Roman stage! Here are some cool things that I learned- when an actor enters stage right he is coming from the sea, and stage left from the city thus the natural environment is incorporated into the play. Also, the first words of a messenger give the tone of a message. It's interesting that heavenly messengers follow this same protocal (i.e. "Fear not").
I would have made a great Roman spectator! I also made a great Roman actor. Heather, Jane and I put on a play on the stage thinking that we were the only ones there- then at the end of our tragedy when we were all lying dead on the ground, we looked up to see 10 people watching it. We were a bit embarassed, but it was a rather good play so I'm glad we could provide them with some high quality Roman entertainment.
Jane kept sneaking me cookies during our tour. I like her.
This is the cardo- the main street of the city. You can see the wheel ruts from the wagons, which is cool. Seeing all of these places it's sometimes hard to imagine people actually living here, but if there's wagon ruts, it must be true.
I just love arches!
This picture is for Kimberly. We like to be the architecture, so here we are- being pillars. I think we do it quite well.
Something about being in Roman cities makes me feel triumphant. It's in the air or something.
"Look how you feel!" I didn't want you to miss out on this part- it was a long, hot day.
But I always perk up for food. This restaraunt was delicious! I love pita and humus.
This is the Jordanian Royal Automobile museum. I loved it! I'm not really a car person, so I'm not sure why but I was super excited to see all the cars that royal people rode it. I remember going to the Automobile museum in Reno on a fieldtrip in 3rd or 4th grade and I loved that too. And the one in London at the palace. I don't know what it is, but I get a kick out of this! But, for those of you who don't, I only included one photo.
Okay, this part of the trip is tied with the Branch President for goodness. We walked from the museum to the mall to eat dinner and when we walked in the doors, I saw the one thing that makes me happier than anything else in the world except for the gospel, family and waterskiing-Paul! Uncle Darren's joke is "I went to Jordan and found Amman." Well, this Paul is not a man, it's better- it's a pastry shop! I fell in love with it when I was in France- there was one right around the corner from our school and so I frequented it, frequently. Finding one in Jordan was the greatest of all surprises. And they had my two favorite pastries- tarte aux framboises and millefois au fraise. Mmm!
No comments:
Post a Comment