Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mary's Heart

I've thought a lot about Mary over the years, and especially the day we spent in Nazareth. I've wondered what kind of life she must have lived that she was the one chosen to raise the Son of God. I've wondered what she must have been thinking when Gabriel appeared to her, as she realized that even Joseph could be lost, as she gave her dreams and desires over to the Lord. That tender, innocent girl endured so much. I think of how lonely she must have been in that dirty grotto as she gave birth to her first son. I think of how her heart must have ached as she saw her son rejected by his friends. I think of her standing alone at the foot of his cross. I've tried to put those thoughts into a poem. I haven't finished it yet, but this is a start.

What was in that young girl's heart
When the angel did appear?
Where did she find such strength?
Faith to overcome her fear.
What had happened in her life
That she was prepared to say,
"Lord, behold thy handmaid,
Be it unto me this day."
So glad that she was worthy
So grateful she'd prepared.
This young virgin, fair and pure
Worthy God's own son to bear.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa you have such a beautiful gift of poetry! I love this poem. Thank you for helping me to think about things in a new light and appreciate things more deeply.

    ReplyDelete