One of the questions on our Ancient Near East test was "What is the 'golden thread' that has most impacted you while studying Egypt and Mesopotamia?" Andy had some very profound thoughts on the matter, so I stole them and turned them into this poem. Refer back to the previous posts if you forgot what the pyramids look like. And this link can tell you all about ziggurats, and it has a great picutre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziggurat.
What motivates men to greatness? What is the driving force
That brings them outside themselves and makes them something more?
Why did the Egyptians build the pyramids- an incomparable feat?
Because they wanted life eternal. Because they believed.
The Mesopotamians built the ziggurats the fickle gods to please
To sacrifice to the Deity, to worship and to plead.
But a portion of truth sufficient, greatness to inspire
An architectural testament of man's deepest desire
That partial truth, the key stone of wonders' creation
Sincere belief the driving force, faith the motivation.
The truth I have's not partial; the fullness now restored
A clear path to salvation, through the blood of Christ the Lord.
My faith should motivate excellence, the pyramids to exceed
For the truth I have is complete and Christ is in the lead.
So I'll build a life of greatness, dedicated to my God
A pyramid of faith within me, immovable and strong.
Rest of Canada
11 years ago
love it!
ReplyDelete