Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Egyptian Plague (May 23)

I was pretty miserable this day, but luckily we were on the bus most of the day. The only time I didn't feel awful was when I was talking (I'm not sure what that says about me) and Steven was nice enough to let me talk for about 4 hours. He learned way more than he wanted to about me, and I made it through the day alive and I was able to enjoy it enough.

I love this picture. A quaint Egyptian alley in Old Cairo.


We love taking 'exact spot' pictures. There's enough speculation in these parts, we figure we might as well add some of our own. So, this was the exact place when Mary and Joseph came with Jesus when they fled to Egypt. It really is likely in this area because there was a strong Jewish community and they would want to come somewhere that they could practice their religion still. They were likely there for about 3 years, so Jesus was about 2-5 years old. He would have been speaking Aramaic at home, Hebrew in the synagogue and Greek at school and in the community. It was definitely a time of growth and learning for Him, in a place that symbolically represents 'the world'.

This is made of metal hanging outside of one of the Coptic Christian churches in Old Cairo. I think it's beautiful.

Mandy and the city.

The Muhammad Ali mosque. It's a striking building, but it's got nothing on the temple. Especially in purpose and Spirit. But it was very cool to see. I try not to compare things too often and to just take in the culture that is here and appreciate it for what it is, but everything I do and see makes me so much more grateful for the truth and every time we talk about the conflict here I realize how desperately these people need the gospel. It is wonderful that they have some truth and that they are so devoted and faithful to what they have, but I wish they had the fullness. It's really hard not being able to talk to people about it. Go tell all your friends about the Gospel! They need it just as much as the people here, and you're allowed to tell them.

Everyone takes their shoes off in the mosques. We just saw the Holocaust memorial here and all the shoes that were taken from the Jews as they were sent to the death chambers. It's interesting to compare the different collections of shoes. Arab leaders love to draw parallels between the Holocaust and the current treatment of Palestinians by the Jews. These people can still willingly remove their shoes in worship of their God instead of having them taken as they are brutally forced to their death. I don't think it's a fair comparison. I definitely haven't taken sides on the issue though. If anything, I'm less passionate about political issues because I am seeing how deeply wrong both sides are. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and take it all in before I cast judgments.

This floor was not comfortable. It's just cement covered by a thin rug, but it was enough for a nice nap during the tour guides explanation of the mosque. I was just happy to be alive and sitting.

But I mustered enough energy for a cousin picture in the mosque. We took this picture to be silly, but tons of people have complimented it. We're way cooler than we even knew.

This is on the Sinai peninsula. Likely a place where Lehi and his family camped because it was the only water source around or something like that. I just know I took a picture because they told me it was significant.

This is the mountain where Moses watched Joshua battle Amalek.

Isaac, Steven and Brent reenacted the event for us. It is quite a beautiful imagery. As long as Moses was holding a rod above his head, with a man on each side, Amalek was losing. As long as Christ stayed on the cross, a man on each side, Satan will be defeated.

As far as sick days go, this is one of the best I ever had. I love Egypt!! I was just praying all day that I would feel up to hiking Sinai the next morning... it worked!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa it sounds like you're having some amazing experiences! The imagery you shared there at the end with Moses and Christ is really cool. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete