Friday, June 26, 2009

More Field Trip Adventures


Annie broke her foot getting off the bus at the end of the Egypt trip. Going to the doctor here was very interesting. He said it didn't need to be casted, but when she insisted he made her buy the material. Weird. She's in a wheelchair most of the time, but she can walk on it, or hobble at least. Matt has been great about pushing her and helping her around.
This is at Beth Shemesh (first knuckle of pointer finger). Now it's just a 'tel', which is just a fancy archeological word for a pile of dirt on top of what used to be a city. It's a practice in imaginiation but if you try real hard, you can imagine Samson and Delilah here. We had another great discussion about how Delilah's deinition of love is Samson choosing her over God. Too often we are placed in situations where someone makes us choose between them and God, or we make ourselves choose between the natural man and God. That is not real love, for others, for ourselves, or for God. Samson was prophesied to be the salvation of Israel, and God was true to his word but because of his disobedience it came through his death.

I'm standing on the wall next to the seige ramp at Lachish (first knuckle of the pinky). This was the last stronghold before Jerusalem (second knuckle of pointer finger). It was taken by the Assyrians but Hezekiah was able to defend Jerusalem because he listened to Elijah. It's just more piles of rocks, but it is cool to be in the exact location learning about things- it makes me want to learn things that I would not otherwise care about. So, I guess I'm saying I don't blame you if you don't care.

This is a olive press in Maresha (first knuckle of ring finger). The whole city is pretty much underground because it's so stinking hot here! They raised doves for sacrifice at the temple and made olive oil. There is a great article in the March Ensign about the ten virgins and the uses of olive oil. I've been thinking about those uses of oil and different ways to apply the Atonement.
Food- Subsistence, energy to keep going, security
Cooking Oil- nourishment
Condiment- Richness of life, variety
Treatment of wounds- Healing
Cosmetics- Beautifying
Soaps- Cleansing
Fuel for lamps- Building our testimony and faith; lighting our way

Dead people used to be in this cave. We're very much alive, and eating the best chocolate popsicle I've ever had.

This is me looking very creepy in a cave Maresha.

Heather and I in a bell cave. It was created by mining for clay and it was huge and awesome!

We love singing everywhere we go, which is sometimes too often. But here it was great! I love singing in places that have great accoustics because it sounds great even if we're not actually real talented.

We also went spelunking in some other caves on the side of the road somewhere and it was tons of fun! I looked weird because I had to crawl through caves with one arm. I slipped on top of Mt. Sinai and I think I cracked my left elbow so I wasn't able to put any pressure on it. The caves weren't that intense though, so this was a nice added element of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment