There are still shepherds in Bethlehem!
After being fed some Palestinian propaganda in a meeting about border changes over the years and Israeli control within certain areas, we visited Bethlehem University and I loved it! It is a Catholic University funded by the church, though the student body is about 65% Muslim if I remember correctly. The Christian and Muslim students work together, celebrate holidays together and are friends.
This is in the library from a bombing of the university a few years ago. I cannot imagine going to school under such circumstances. And despite it all, everyone seemed so happy and so hopeful.
The grounds are beautiful here which is rather refreshing in a desert with little grass and few trees. The atmosphere here is also wonderful. There is something about a common pursuit of knowledge that is so exhilarating. I just love the feeling of university campuses and I realized while I was here that I really want to teach at that level... we'll have to see where that dream leads.
"The curfews, travel restrictions, military checkpoint harassment, and the negative impact of the Israeli military occupation of the West Bank, are factors faced by the University’s enrollment of 2,936 students" (http://www.bethlehem.edu/about/history.shtml) These are some of those students who told us about these difficulties and life at the university. They're just good people.
Now to the spiritual.... This is the Church of the Nativity, which is the only Church built by Constantine during the Byzantine era that was not destroyed by Persians. The assumed reason is the mosaic on the floor depicting the three kings, assumed to be Persian.
The church is built over the grotto, or cave. This is the spot designated by Constantine's mother Helena as the place of Jesus' birth. It's hard to really see anything because there were tons of people shoved down there and it is very elaborately decorated- not exactly conducive to a great spiritual experience. Nonetheless, it was very cool to be there and scholars agree that the birthplace must be very close to here if this is not it.
More elaborate decorations in the church, which is owned by three separate denominations. It is said that the Palestinian/Israeli conflict needs to be solved so we can focus on the real conflict in the Holy Land- that of Christian sects. Of course that's a bit facetious, but there is some hilarious truth in the statement. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpZJnydbj8&NR=1
Sitting in this chapel we sang "O Little Town of Bethlehem". The third verse is Dad's favorite, and I've come to love it too-
How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is given!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven.
No ear may his His coming,
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him still,
The dear Christ enters in.
In the basement of the Church, Jerome translated the Septuagint. He's a cool guy- read this to learn more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome
More Politics. It is interesting to drive from Jerusalem to Bethlehem through the separation wall. On the Jerusalem side it says, "Bethlehem and Jerusalem: Peace and Love" then when we enter West Bank on the Bethlehem side it says "To exist is to Resist". Kind of different messages. I think you can see the propaganda pretty clearly on both sides.
The saddest thing is that Christ is absent from all of this. In this place, the Light of the World came to the world and yet this place is still in darkness. "Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its own self-destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gopsel will bring joy, happiness, and salvtion to the human family." --Ezra Taft Benson
I love that last paragraph you wrote--the quote is great too. It's so cool to see these pictures! I really like the picture of the candle by the way, did you take that? It's really cool.
ReplyDelete